I made another long ride into the state of Florida May 23, 2015. My wife +Sylvia Wormley wanted to visit the Wakulla Springs State Park. We play this game where she picks out a destination that she wants to visit, and i ride my bike there and then we hang out and relax. As usual I could not stop and take all of the pictures that I wanted to, but here are the photos from the ride.
Tractor on GA HWY 37
I like riding my bike down roads where there are farms. When I get a chance to stop and take a picture of a tractor I do it. I have never seen a tractor of this type. I will have to research it to see what it is used for.
Pastoral barn on River Road
My friend Richard Thompson recommended that I take this road on my next trip to Florida on my bike. River road is really nice, lots of farms and low traffic. If you look closely at this image in the sky on the right you can see a crop duster. I am glad that I did not have to cross paths with this crop duster on this ride.
New county for my bike travels
This route was remote and it did not take me through any small towns that had gas stations or stores. I pass a lot of churches as this is the Bible Belt, so I started stopping at churches to get water. I use tablets to add electrolytes to my water. I started playing another game on this trip, see how far I can ride without paying for water. I am happy to report that I rode 131 miles and did not pay for water.
I have passed many corn fields on my bike. I have also watch large combines harvesting corn for bulk use. I have never witnessed the harvesting of corn by hand for consumer packaging. Earlier on my trip I was a plant that was taking tree farm pine logs and transforming them into the wire wooden crates that are being used for this corn.
The truck is being pulled by the tractor.
Farm hands picking and packaging corn
I have always wanted to visit Bainbridge
Prefect weather and slight cross winds
This would be my fastest average pace for the day
Downtown Bainbridge, GA
Bainbridge State College
After leaving Bainbridge I vered off course and got on US HWY 84 instead of staying on US HWY 27. I guess I wanted to do some hill training with strong headwinds. I was starting to get discouraged riding on this busy highway, but my spirits picked up when I reached the town of Climax.
Old store front in climax, GA
Climax, GA Memorial to locals who paid the ultimate price in WW II
I took my phone out and got my bearings. I decided to trust my garmin which was offering a updated route.
Finally got to florida
After meandering though some back county roads I got back to US HWY 27. I decided to stay on US HWY 27 until I got to Tallahassee.
After crossing into florida I saw this huge Confederate Flag. I decided to add it to my trip photos.
I really like the style of this sign
It was getting really hot at this point. I started playing another game. I wanted to take a picture of my Garmin display when my milage was the same as the air temperature. I got pretty close before giving up and focusing on getting to my destination.
98 miles 98 degrees
100 miles 101 degrees. temperature jumped up before I could get my phone out
I had a really good bike fit a few months ago. The folks at Podium Multisport in Atlanta know how to assess your physiology and they understand cycling and bikes at a level that I have never seen in my 40 plus years of cycling. I went into the bike fit with a favorite bike in mind that I wanted, but as with any experience with experts I came away learning something that I did not expect, titanium is still a good material for building bicycles. My old Serotta was carbon steel, so I figured that my next bike would be a carbon fiber bike. I rented a Trek Domane 4.2 last year when I was visiting Austin, Texas for a wedding. I rode the bike for about 200 hard miles in 4 days. I hit all of the chip seal roads and steep hills that I use to ride when I lived there and I was quite pleased with the ride and fit. I have an unusual body anatomy. I have the torso and arm reach of a typical man who is 5'6" and the legs of a typical man who is 6'3". I am ...
I think I am ready to write about one of the scariest days of my life. Funny thing is that I do not remember the horrific details, but I will write what my friends tell me what happened when I was unconscious or just do not remember. On Monday morning March 17, 2014 I put on my #Bicycle Commuter Cabal green jersey and headed to work. It was drizzling slightly, but it was warm. I had my yellow rain jacket on and three tail flashers on my bike, two red and one white. I left my house about 6:15 AM and started my 25 mile commute to work. This commute takes me about one hour and thirty minutes. I was taking an easy pace because I had just finished a big 145 mile ride to St. Mark's on Friday so I jut wanted to relax today. Everything went as usually until I was riding on the short stretch of Newton Road (HWY 91). I do not remember turning on to HWY 91 so everything that I write from here on is from what my friends have told me. I was struck from behin...
I did the 25th Anniversary Up The Creek without A Pedal this past weekend. I paid extra for the SWAG. Part of the SWAG was yet another water bottle, but this is no ordinary water bottle. I took the bottle to work so that I could use it on my short frame MTB. the bottle has a screw off bottom. This means it is easy to clean, wow!
Comments
Post a Comment