The Orange Eagles School of Cycling

This is my Seven Cycles 622 SLX
Today was the first time in over a year that I had the privileged to ride with the PCP Race Team.  I have not done much road cycling since March 17, 2014.  I started bike commuting on my new bike December 2, 2014.  Today was my first day back in the Orange Eagles School of Cycling and I was excited.

Why do I call this group the Orange Eagles?  When I was riding with them today I thought about the saying "How can you soar with eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys".  This statement reflects a negative attitude, so I was thinking about restoring the statement with my training.  I want to soar with eagles, but first I had to find some eagles to soar with, then I need to train so that I can fly with them.

Kent Wheeler took this photo of me on the ride.
Michele Moulton says we were going 23 MPH.
Today was another "Sling Shot" ride for me.  That is where I use the PCP Race team to get me way out in the middle of nowhere and when I get dropped, I ride home.  Now to some of you reading this it may sound harsh, but it is intentional.  I want to be a stronger rider because I want to ride longer distances like 300 miles, so I really need to train and who better to train with but a race team.  My goal is to ride long distances so my training is ride as fast as I can with the race team until I am almost out of energy and then see how far I can ride.

My training methods are intentional just like my open declaration to coaches, Michele Moulton and Kent Wheeler that I am coachable and I want to become a better cyclist.  Once I did this then I have now opened up a realm where Michele can tell me to quite looking at my cycling computer and focus on closing the gap during a ride.  I have Chip Battle encouraging me to get back on the wheel to stay with the pace line.  Yeah it is going to take a village to get me to a point where I can finish a ride with the PCP race team, but I am ready for the challenge.

I kept up with the PCP Race team for 56 miles before my legs told me that had enough.  My last ride with the PCP Race Team, back in October 2013, I kept pace for 30 miles, so for me staying with the group for 56 miles is a personal best. My plan was to stop at Bronwood, but Michele told me that I could make it to Smithville, I was doubtful about this, but I listened and heeded the encouragement.  At one point during the ride I started to get really tired and I felt like slowing down and "dropping myself" out of the pace line.  I saw the wheel in front of me slowly creeping away when I heard Kent from behind me say, "Lonnie, keep it up and he passed me and dropped in front of me and that was all I needed to stay in the pace line.  Coaching is an art, not everybody is good at it, but there are some good coaches in the PCP Race Team.  I am glad that I have found an environment where I can grow as a cyclist.

I am grateful to live in a town with a group of cyclist that know how to ride and are willing to help me become a better and stronger rider while also having fun.  Right now I find it difficult to be able to ride and talk at the same time when I am riding with the PCP Race Team.  Over time I know that I will get stronger and more confident with my riding ability.  When you see me later next year riding and talking you will know that the coaching and training are working.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1999 Serotta Rapid Tour

Go to a whole new level

Strava Segment Madness