Albany, GA to Wakulla Springs, FL


I made another long ride into the state of Florida May 23, 2015. My wife +Sylvia Wormley  wanted to visit the Wakulla Springs State Park. We play this game where she picks out a destination that she wants to visit, and i ride my bike there and then we hang out and relax. As usual I could not stop and take all of the pictures that I wanted to, but here are the photos from the ride.

Tractor on GA HWY 37
 I like riding my bike down roads where there are farms.  When I get a chance to stop and take a picture of a tractor I do it.  I have never seen a tractor of this type.  I will have to research it to see what it is used for.

Pastoral barn on River Road
My friend Richard Thompson recommended that I take this road on my next trip to Florida on my bike.  River road is really nice, lots of farms and low traffic.  If you look closely at this image in the sky on the right you can see a crop duster.  I am glad that I did not have to cross paths with this crop duster on this ride.

New county for my bike travels
This route was remote and it did not take me through any small towns that had gas stations or stores.  I pass a lot of churches as this is the Bible Belt, so I started stopping at churches to get water.  I use tablets to add electrolytes to my water.  I started playing another game on this trip, see how far I can ride without paying for water.  I am happy to report that I rode 131 miles and did not pay for water.

I have passed many corn fields on my bike.  I have also watch large combines harvesting corn for bulk use.  I have never witnessed the harvesting of corn by hand for consumer packaging.  Earlier on my trip I was a plant that was taking tree farm pine logs and transforming them into the wire wooden crates that are being used for this corn.
The truck is being pulled by the tractor.

Farm hands picking and packaging corn
I have always wanted to visit Bainbridge

Prefect weather and slight cross winds



This would be my fastest average pace for the day
Downtown Bainbridge, GA

Bainbridge State College

After leaving Bainbridge I vered off course and got on US HWY 84 instead of staying on US HWY 27. I guess I wanted to do some hill training with strong headwinds.  I was starting to get discouraged riding on this busy highway, but my spirits picked up when I reached the town of Climax.
Old store front in climax, GA

Climax, GA Memorial to locals who paid the ultimate price in  WW II 
I took my phone out and got my bearings.  I decided to trust my garmin which was offering a updated route.
Finally got to florida
After meandering though some back county roads I got back to US HWY  27.  I decided to stay on US HWY 27 until I got to Tallahassee.

After crossing into florida I saw this huge Confederate Flag.  I decided to add it to my trip photos.


I really like the style of this sign

It was getting really hot at this point.  I started playing another game. I wanted to take a picture of my Garmin display when my milage was the same as the air temperature.  I got pretty close before giving up and focusing on getting to my destination.
98 miles 98 degrees

100 miles 101 degrees. temperature jumped up before I could get my phone out
Finally got to Wakulla Springs
I am doing a write up on my visit to Wakulla Springs soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1999 Serotta Rapid Tour

Go to a whole new level

Strava Segment Madness