Long distance Cycling Is Just Puzzle

I read this article posted in my Google+ Long distance Cycling Community.  


Touching the Void: Glimpsing the Mind of a Serial Cyclist
I totally agree with the concept that long distance cycling is a puzzle solving event.  I did the same puzzle solving when I was training for my first 100k trail run.

This article helps me as I think about my longest ride that I have ever done which was 145 miles.  I did it last year on 3/14/2014.  I rode from my house to the Gulf of New Mexico.  My Garmin's battery died, my phone battery died and my light battery died.  I could have gone another 50 miles as I was not tired, but my equipment ran out of juice.

My longest ride on this bike was 145 miles
I did not plan on getting hit by a car three days later. I am planning another ride to the coast.  I have revised some of my equipment.  I have lights that will always burn as long as I can peddle.  I have two spare batteries for  my phone.  I can charge my Garmin and phone during the day using my dynamo.  I also have a bike that can do more miles than I can at the moment.

I love just riding point to point. On my last trip it was hard for my wife to find where I was when I got to the coast.  Now I have a standing rule that I will ride to a hotel where we have a reservation and she will always know where to meet me.




I also like riding and supporting myself so there is  more puzzle solving.  I will complete my first double century in 2015.  looking to ride from my house in Albany, GA to Panama City, FL soon.

Here are links to all parts of the article
Going Long – Part 1
Going Long – Part 2

Going Long – Part 3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1999 Serotta Rapid Tour

Go to a whole new level

Strava Segment Madness