St. Patty's Day Smack Down

I think I am ready to write about one of the scariest days of my life.  Funny thing is that I do not remember the horrific details, but I will write what my friends tell me what happened when I was unconscious or just do not remember.

On Monday morning March 17, 2014 I put on my #Bicycle Commuter Cabal green jersey and  headed to work. It was drizzling slightly, but it was warm.  I had my yellow rain jacket on and three tail flashers on my bike, two red and one white. I left my house about 6:15 AM and started my 25 mile commute to work.  This commute takes me about one hour and thirty minutes.


I was taking an easy pace because I had just finished a big 145 mile ride to St. Mark's on Friday so I jut wanted to relax today. Everything went as usually until I was riding on the short stretch of Newton Road (HWY 91).  I do not remember turning on to HWY 91 so everything that I write from here on is from what my friends have told me.



I was struck from behind by a middle aged motorist on her way to the Albany Marine Corps Logistics Base.  She hit me with such a force that my body smashed her windshield into her car.  When she applied her brakes the police report says I was then thrown about 100 feet sliding along a guard rail that eventually gouged into my back and broke my ilium.  There is some evidence that my helmet slide along the guardrail before I came to rest with punctures from the rail.  I do not remember any of this.  My next thoughts I remember are being on a board with my neck strapped down and being loaded into an ambulance. I showed a medic how to unlock my phone so he could call my boss and tell him that I would be late. I have three pins holding my fractured Ilium in place



WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

I am a very aware rider and I did everything by the book and I still got smacked.  If she had drove way I would have bled out on the spot, so I am grateful that she called 911.  I am recovering four days after this incident.  I appreciate all of the well wishes and flowers sent to my home.  I will write more about this later, but for now I am relieved that I am alive, but I am angry that motorist have such an advantage over cyclists on the road.  I have not seen my crushed Serotta yet, so I have lost a really close friend.  My BCC jersey was cut off of me, but I asked my wife to save it.  My BCC cyclist all over the world have really inspired me to ride these past few years.  I will be back on the road as soon as the doctor says it is OK for me to ride again.

More Photos



Comments

  1. We're here for you, man. Rest up and get well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved reading about your riding adventures and challenges. I wish one day to get at a level of commitment and love for riding as you are. Always... ride on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrifying story. It is good to see you standing up. I look forward to a photo where you are holding bicycle bars instead of a walker. Warm wishes for a thorough and fast recovery, Lonnie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1999 Serotta Rapid Tour

Go to a whole new level

Strava Segment Madness