Go to a whole new level

Cycle Thunder II

I am recovering from a near death experience that happened on March 17, 2014.  I was hit from behind on my way to work and could have died, but I did not.  I could make up all sorts of excuses of why I should never get on a bike again, but that is not who I am.

Cycle Thunder
I was sitting in my living room this past week in front of the TV and my wife was napping beside me.  Out of nowhere I starting sobbing and tears flowed freely from my eyes.  Was I mourning the lost of a bicycle?  I went to work for two days this week and I carried my bike in the back of my truck.  I have not had the heart to take it out since getting it from the Dougerty Police Department.  I guess I am having a hard time of letting it go.
Before I had this accident I had already made up in my mind that this 1999 Serotta Rapid Tour was the last bicycle that I would ever buy.  I had already decided that I would only ride just so fast and that I would never be able to keep up with my cycling group for more than 30 miles at 20 MPH.  Why am I setting limits on myself?  As a Landmark Education graduate I have been trained on living my life without boundaries, and I am always aware that I am the only person that can limit my abilities.  So after this accident I am staring at the fact that for the past year I have been limiting my cycling abilities.

I was talking on the phone with my sister this week and I expressed these thoughts about how I was going to use this accident as a challenge to myself to be a more powerful cyclist.  Once I start announcing to the world my intentions I can feel my energy start to motivate me to get things moving to where I want them.  I never like watching recorded sporting events but last week I watched the 2013 Paris to Rubaix and I watched every crash.  I really got inspired as the cyclist got back up and asked for a new bike and even though they did not chance of winning they rode off to try and catch the leader.

So this is me going forward, new eating habits, just like I did in 2008 when I was preparing to run 62 miles (100k) on a difficult trail course in Bandera, Texas.  I will take off that last 10 pounds and keep it off. I am joining my wife Sylvia on a gluten free paleo lifestyle.  I am going to get another bike and I am not going to make excuses about not being able to keep up anymore.  

The image at the start of this post is the bike that I have been dreaming of for about two years.  I was not going to pick the same paint color as my old bike, but now I am inspired to use it again. To me life is a game, you can play it and complain or you can make up the game and play it and have fun.  My wife asked me recently after my accident if I had a name for my bike, I had told her that I did not.  I now realize that my bike's name was Cycle Thunder, and my next bile will be Cycle Thunder II.

I am grateful to have a social network that is supporting me with encouragement.  I am also grateful that I live in a town with a cycling club like The Pecan City Pedalers that challenges and inspires me.  You can not aspire to soar with eagles if you never see one or ride with one.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1999 Serotta Rapid Tour

Strava Segment Madness