St. Patrick's Day Bicycling Anyway



My adventures with bicycling continue into 2017.  Today is the anniversary of one of the scariest moments of my life and I cannot remember the car hitting me. Today back in 2014 I was hit by a car while bike commuting to work.  Today I am bike commuting to work on my cruiser bike with a titanium full hip replacement that I got on October 3 2016. I am glad to be alive and riding my bike.

I use to have deep life reflections on the last day of the year, but now I have a fondness for doing life reflections on St. Patrick's Day.  I have never been a big fan of holidays.  I tolerated them when my two children were small and I seem to be getting back into the holiday spirit with my wife +Sylvia Wormley .  St. Patrick's Day was always at the bottom of my list of holidays when I was in grade school with all of the pinching and wearing green.  Well today I am wearing green.  I am not wearing a green bike jersey, just a plain old shirt because I am bike commuting in street clothes.

I have had two stints in a walker due to cycling accidents since moving to Albany, Georgia.  I still find that the cycling here in South West Georgia to be some of the finest that I have ever experienced. I am really glad that I can still ride a bike.  Transformation is amazing, but it is hard work.  For me getting back into shape is a process that I know cannot be rushed.  This time around I am not being so compulsive about it.  I am really taking time to smell the knockout roses (go ahead and laugh, I know you cannot smell these type of roses).  Instead of a 25 mile commute I am doing a 4.5 mile commute to work.  I am taking my time slow rolling through the back streets on my way to and from work.

Why am I so passionate about bike commuting?  There are a bunch of reasons why I like to ride a bike to and from work.  One of the main reasons is that I like human powered transportation.  i also like doing multiple things at once.  when I ride my bike to work I not only accomplish one less car on the road, but I am getting a breath of fresh air and exercise while transporting myself to and from work.  The environmental impact of burning fossil fuels just to get to work makes a big negative impact on the environment.  I like doing my small part just by keeping my truck off the road as much as possible.


It was 34 degrees on my ride into work this morning.  I had the opportunity to wear my Shower Pass jacket and arm warmers today.  Wearing a cross between street clothes and high end cycling gear is a first for me.  I have gradually taken gear off of my road bike and installed it on my cruiser.  I laugh at myself as some of my gear by itself cost more than my used $300 cruiser cost.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1999 Serotta Rapid Tour

Go to a whole new level

Strava Segment Madness