Head Winds and Warm Rain

This morning when I checked the The Weather Channel web site I was surprised to see that at 6 AM it was 67 degrees.  I almost did not believe it was that warm outside, but I dressed for my commute without all of the layers and long cycling pants that I have been living in for the past few weeks.  I did take my arm warmers and my trusty Burley rain coat just in case.

I started out from my drive way to an almost unbearable warm humid morning.  I was glad that it was warm and I started to ride down dark damp streets.  I knew it was going to be windy as the forecast showed 15 MPH winds.  The radar showed that rain was well past Albany so I was happy to ride in the warm dark morning.  I would soon discover that this assumption was wrong.

Weather radar  history after I got to work
When I turned onto Eight Mile Road it started to sprinkle.  This light rain felt good as I was getting a little warm with my arm warmers.  I decided to roll them down to stay cool and I was just about to stop and take them off it started raining really hard.  I did stop and pull my Duck Bill from my jersey pocket and rolled up my arm warmers back up to cover my arms totally so the rain would not sting my bare skin.

I love riding in the rain as it gives me an opportunity to get soaking wet and not worry about trying to keep dry.  When I am riding down a country road and watching the rain sheet across the road it is just beautiful.  I know that the winds were blowing at least 23 MPH because when I was heading east with the tail wind I was riding at the same speed as the sheeting rain as it showed the wind patterns on the road.

The rain backed off a bit as I turned on Leary Road.  The daylight was starting to drift through the thick clouds that were dumping the rain.  As I rode I was watching the cloud reflections on the mirror glass black top of the highway.  It was like I was riding across a reflecting pond on my bike.  I could look up and see the clouds in the sky and I could also look down at the road and see the clouds with yellow and white lines through them.  It was too wet to take a picture, but this is where I really wanted a helmet camera so I could take some shots.

About 15 miles into the ride on Leary Road right before Cooleewahee Creek it seemed like the flood gates opened up.  the rain was much cooler than before.  I was thinking that I may need to put on my rain jacket, but I kept riding and enjoying the free "bike wash".  The very heavy rain continued for about 4 miles and did not let up until after I had reached HWY 91.

I arrived at ASU refreshed and energized to work on projects from my desk.

So I took my time and got to work soaking wet. My spirit felt wonderful as riding in the rain somehow de-polarizes all the negative vibes that build up around me. I think that is what I miss about surfing, I loved plowing through waves as I paddled out past the breakers. Water washing over your head when you are outside is so spiritual to me. riding in the rain has that same effect, I am totally at the mercy of the rain, but on my bike I do not care, it is warm and I just enjoyed the water drenching all over me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1999 Serotta Rapid Tour

Go to a whole new level

Strava Segment Madness